Monday, October 2, 2017

Running.

Rose crossed the finish line first!
Is it a smile or grimace?

Over the course of a bout a year, my wife and I have been on "a weight loss journey".

We are in our 50's and the nest is empty, so we have been taking steps to make sure our years as a couple again are healthy and happy!

It's been a cool thing to watch the scale tell me the results of taking positive steps to improve my health.

I have lost about 60lbs so far, and, Rose about 30!

Motivation is key when you do these things, so we decided to add some challenges.

You need a goal to focus on, so I signed us up for, what I thought was the easiest thing we could do.

A 5K run!  It was at the Toronto Zoo!

I got a little crazier and we did the Tough Mudder Half last month!

That was a breeze compared to running for 5 kilometers!

I dreaded doing this because I HATE running!

I get winded quickly and wasn't sure I could keep up!

Rose has stronger legs than me so I thought I would be holding her back!

Turns out, we picked a pace and did it!

It was about 30 degrees out and we were dripping with sweat, but we got our finisher medal and went home happy!

I was really encouraged to see people from all levels of fitness out doing the run!

Here's the lesson I learned...

You can do more than you think you can, you just have to commit to something a little scary and then do it!  Even if you fail, you will have done something that forces you to grow and see yourself and the world differently!

Make awesome happen!

No comments: