Monday, February 22, 2016

There's a new cool kid in town.

Alex and Spock share Vulcan logic.
It's official!

My kid is cooler than me.

I knew it would happen someday.  Just when I thought my "dad" superiority would reign supreme, I have been knocked off the throne!  Oh how the mighty have fallen!

The days of "Get dad to fix it" or "Dad knows how to work that" are long gone!

It used to be me who could do anything and had all the answers!  I was Wiki-Dad-a-pedia!  I could tell you a little bit about anything through extensive "minutes" of skimming general information.

I was also Dad "The Tool Man", Dad "The Expert" and Dad "The Strong Man".

Now I am just, Dad!  It's more of an honorary title now!

Kids grow up way to fast.  Like faster than fair.  If life is like baseball, kids are born and step up to the plate, hit the ball and slide  into home before you, as the umpire have time to even know when the season started!

To keep the sports analogy going, this weekend we went bowling as a family, It was adults against the kids and, Alex, my son, was late.  We were all waiting for him so we could start the game and when he finally showed up, he casually dropped his coat, grabbed a ball and threw a strike!  Then he sat down.  WHAT!?  So casual, like it was nothing!  I don't think he even looked down the lane!  The pins themselves were stunned by what had just happened.  They were not even done wobbling from being set by the magic machine!  I got up and proceeded to knock one corner pin over and roll two gutter balls. My score was lower that any of my kids AND their cousins!

I thought, OK, I'll show him up later!

He bought me a Millennium Falcon quad copter for Christmas and I have been getting really good at piloting it around the house.  When we fired it up back at the house after bowling, I showed him some moves!  Wow, I could fly the "circle" and the "liftoff".  Impressive!  I went on about how I could land it on a shelf.  Boy, was I skilled!  I put in the time and practiced!  If I was Han Solo, Chewie would be impressed by my skills!

Then it was his turn.

Within moments, he was cruising it around corners and back and forth in the living room!  WHAT?!   Chewie would have thrown me out on Tatooine if he had a choice between me and Alex!  The Death Star would have blown ITSELF up, had he seen "Alex Solo" coming!  I feel like Darth Vader would have tipped his dark helmet in admiration if Alex flew by at lightspeed.

Again I felt like, that used to be ME!  I could master any difficult toy with ease!  I was the king!

What happened?  Did I just lose all my cool DNA?  Do I need a transfusion?

Am I jealous?

Good question.

A little.

I want him to do well, I want him to excel.  I want him to be the best he can be!

But I want "one thing" that I rule at!

What could it be?

I'm still looking!


No comments: