Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Canadian eh!

Vintage CBC logo.
My fave Detroit station for Star Trek and Batman!
Growing up near the USA, I used to feel a bit inferior being a Canadian.

We watched American TV (WXYZ, WDIV, WXON, WKBD), listened mostly to radio stations from Detroit (WRIF, WLLZ, WHYT, CKLW), followed the Red Wings and the Tigers and knew more about U.S. politics than my own.

My notions of being Canadian came from the CBC.  My dad would listen to "As It Happens" and other shows on our national broadcaster.  We had an old radio in the downstairs bathroom that would blast Michael Enright and Alan Maitland (Front Porch Al) and other features.

We would sometimes head over the border to do a little "Sunday Shopping".  That felt strange because in those days you could not shop on the Lords Day in Canada!  I remember observing the way our U.S. neighbors lived life.  I noticed that they were very open and free, something us conservative Canucks felt a little uncomfortable with.  It was fun to watch though.

These days, what it means to be Canadian to me has changed.  I think we have retained the best of our British Empire roots along with a progressive outlook and good global citizenship.  We are not pushy, but know where we stand on the issues.  We look after those who are the weakest to the best of our ability.  Compassion rules our hearts, faith guides our steps.


There is so much of the country I have yet to see,  I have seen quite a bit of Ontario, some of BC and Quebec, but our dream is to head "down East" and see the beauty of PEI and Newfoundland!

How about you?  What makes Canada special to you?

No comments: