Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Here's Something Fun To Do!

The first geocache I hid!


I don't exactly remember the year...it must have been about 2005.  Rose and I were hiking the Duchesnay Falls trails in North Bay and we spotted some other hikers hunting around in the brush just off the trail.  We asked them if they lost something and they said they were looking for a "cache"!  These guys explained that they had a set of GPS coordinates that would lead them to a hidden box!  Cool!  We helped them for a bit but we did not find it.  The idea of a treasure hunt like that really appealed to the geek in me, so I went home and did some research.  Turns out there are HUNDREDS of them around, some were in my own backyard!  I was on the hunt!
The first few I found were on trails in the area and I did not use a GPS because I could not afford one at the time.  I used Google Earth and some instincts to locate my first one in Laurier Woods.

Me on the the Laurier Woods trail.  (picture by Jasmine!)

There it is!!  The thrill of finding the first one!

Well, I have been hooked ever since! 

I did eventually get a hand held GPS for my birthday and my family can tell you, it has taken us to some cool places!  We've been lost, bug bitten, soaked and fatigued...but on the other hand we have seen amazing views, met awesome people, spent lots of time together, gotten loads of exercise and fresh air and had a heck of a time!

I even hid my own "cache"!  Right now it's in Sudbury in need of a new caretaker!  Having my own has been rewarding because each cache has a log book.  The log book is filled out when you find the location.  It's cool to see how many folks have signed it and said they enjoyed the hunt!  It's located near a school, so a whole kindergarten class came one time to find it!  All the kids left a thank you note signed in crayon! :)  You can also fill out an online log and post a picture if you want!


Happy hunters finding my Cache!

It's a great little hobby that does not require much investment and is a ton of fun!

Check it out at www.geocaching.com !

Happy hunting...and bring bug spray!

No comments: