Monday, April 11, 2016

A Funny Thing Happened...



Some back story...
Back when I was the weekend news guy at KICX, Scott Jackson asked me to write an article for MORE Radio.  My topic was "being real" on the air.  I offered some advice about getting in front of real live people to sharpen your radio skills.  I mentioned that I had taken drama in high school and had been in a number of plays.  One of the final comments I made in the article was that someday I would like to try stand-up comedy.
Fast forward to a few months later and I am now full time at LIFE 100.3 and I attend a comedy night event in Barrie with the Street Team and meet an actual clean comedian!  His name is Wil Twynstra.  I took this as a sign from the Lord that when you ask for opportunities, they come your way, so get ready!
I told Wil that I would like to try this whole comedy thing.  He invited me to be part of a fundraising night for Arise Christian Academy.  I would be an amateur performer.  
I was excited and horrified all at the same time!
I did it and I did not die!  As a matter of fact, I had a blast!

This brings us to today.



The Circuit was founded by Timmy Boyle about five years ago.  He has a vision to create clean comedy hubs in cities around Ontario.  A place where you can go out with your family and have a good time and not be concerned about the content.  Right now there are five stops on the tour.  Barrie, Sarnia, Chatham, Guelph and Brantford.  The tour runs every two months or so.  He has had many outstanding comedians headline the tour and he opens up the show to aspiring new comics who want more stage time. He also acts as a mentor.  I have been a part of four of these shows in Barrie.  Each time you get about seven minutes to perform.
I had the bright idea in February to go along with the tour to all five cities. Timmy said "Yes"!  I would only need to take two days off from LIFE (My "day job" which I love!).  So I began to prepare.
The headliner for this tour was, Max Winfrey, a stunt comedian from Orlando, Florida.  He is a veteran of 30 years in show business.  He's done Disney theme parks and cruises, corporate events, private shows and was even on Americas Got Talent.  Wow!

Tuesday, April 5 2016.  First Baptist Church, Barrie.

Night one of the tour and I am really pumped up!  I have practiced and I have added some things I think are killer to my set.  LIFE station manager, Scott Jackson has done some radio spots to promote the show and the Street Team is there to!  Me and Wil Twynstra are the opening acts. I have seven minutes...I do twelve!  You might think that's great, but you would be wrong!  In comedy, you have to stick to your time.  My mistake was adding a couple of last minute things that I thought were killer, but did not really fit within the "theme" of my set.  Some adjustments must be made!

First night of the tour in Barrie.  First Baptist Church.

Next up was Wil, then we were all awestruck by the performance of Max Winfrey!  I could hardly believe what I was seeing!  This guy held the crowd on the edge of their seats with his juggling and witty banter!

Max on his 6ft unicycle, juggling and taking requests!
Max is the real deal and I think we all clapped a layer of skin off our hands!  Impressive and very professional!  A great time!

Timmy Boyle, Max Winfrey and me after the Barrie show.

Wednesday, April 6 2016  The Rock Family Church, Sarnia

Night two of the tour and I have trimmed my set a bit more. Timmy did not kick me off the tour, so that was good!  Just kidding.  I think he understands the process of learning and allowed me to grow.  The repetition of doing it for five straight nights would help with that!

Night two in Sarnia!


Another killer show from Max in Sarnia!

After the show, Rose and I drove to Wallaceburg to visit my mom and brother.  I was born and raised in Wallaceburg and left the small town to fulfill my dreams of a broadcasting career!  We had a great visit and I treated my mom to a home cooked breakfast of Eggs Benedict!

Thursday, April 7 2016 Emmanuel Baptist Church, Chatham

Night three brought us to Chatham and it was a very special show for me because I had so much family there!  My mom, brother, niece and aunt were in the crowd as I did my seven minutes as the warm up comic!
Max used a lot of kids in his act!

Timmy Boyle hosting the Chatham crowd.

The church in Chatham had a huge sanctuary which helped the show I think.  The crowd was really into it and it was another fantastic night!

Friday, April 8 2016  Parkwood Gardens Church, Guelph

Wow this was the night that I was told would be the real experience of being on a comedy tour.  The Guelph church has been a big supporter of Upstanding Comedy and is the flagship of the tour.  It did not disappoint.  The place was packed!  Over 200 by my count and everyone was excited about being there.  It was also the show that had the most performers!  I was up first and followed by, Evan Dunne, Jared Groenwegen and Jim Tice.  Jim was officially coming out of retirement (sort of) as a comedian.  He was honored by fellow comedians, Matt Falk and Leleand Klassen by video.

Pre-show crowd!

Doing my set in Guelph.

Evan Dunne, Me, Jared Groenewegen, Timmy Boyle and Jim Tice
Again Max Winfrey was amazing!

Max Winfrey on his unicycle!

Saturday, April 9 2016  Brant Community Church, Brantford

The final night of the tour was in Brantford in a church basement room that was both warm and cold!  It was spacious and full of old style hardwood.  The ceilings were high but the performance space was a bit limited.  I know I would not have wanted to ride a six foot unicycle around that place, but Max did it!

I had the act down cold at this point!

Host for the night was James Mac Neil!

Me, Max Winfrey, James Mac Neil and Alex Bouman

For this show I went on second!  A fellow by the name of Alex Bouman was up first and played the ukulele and told one-liners!  Fun!  I went next and the crowd was very responsive.  I had my set down to exactly the time I needed and it went like clockwork!  James Mac Neil was the host for this night because Timmy Boyle was away doing a fundraising show elsewhere.
I was sad to be done the tour but also happy to have been able to do it!

Observations

A band may tour and do four or five songs as a warm up act.  A comedian gets seven minutes!  It's all over pretty quick!  Preparation is the key!

Comedy improves with repetition.  I had practiced my set for a month after deciding what would be in it, but nothing compares to being in front of a live audience for 5 nights.

The pros are pros for a reason!  Learning the give and take of a crowd of people is an art form!

Faces of people in the audience don't always tell you how they are enjoying the show.  Some folks just look serious ALL THE TIME!

Comedy is defiantly something I enjoy!  Being on the radio is what I love most, but as a supplement to what I do on the air, comedy is a fabulous outlet!  

I can't wait to do this again!

Thanks to LIFE 100.3 for allowing me to follow this weird path!  Scott Jackson have been very supportive and it's appreciated.  Thanks to everyone who came out to the shows and had a good time with us!

Finally a big thanks to my wife Rose, who has been my biggest supporter! I love you!

I would love to see you at the next show!  The tour is back in June!  

Go to www.upstandingcomedy.ca to get your tickets!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good start to your standup career Todd, keep at it! Awesome to meet you and Rose. Looking forward to your future gigs.

TAG777 said...

Thanks, Jim! I learned a lot watching you onstage!