Monday, September 15, 2014

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST, MOST AMAZING, ENTERTAINING AND INFORMATIVE BLOG OF ALL TIME IS FINALLY HERE!!



I have a new way to express the fact that something is good.

I am calling it..."all-caps".

If something is delicious, I will say "This pita wrap is all-caps yummy!" or "I saw Skillet live and they all-caps rocked it!"

My logic is this, when you want to express excitement about something in a text or post, you're more likely to make liberal use of the caps-lock button on your keypad.  So a baseball game can be thrilling or it can be THRILLING!

See the difference?

In regular speech, the only way to do this would be to yell, but that's not always the best thing to do.

So...

Just say "all-caps" before your description of how much you enjoyed, Guardians of the Galaxy.

"It was all-caps the best movie of the summer!"

This leads me to another topic I am wrestling with.  Superlatives.

I work in radio, but in essence I am a writer.  (See my previous blog)  Because I am a writer, there is an ongoing search for the right words to use in every break, weather report, traffic update and news cast.

I have noticed that my fall back words for certain topics tend to be "most amazing", "absolutely wonderful" and "really exciting".

I want to change this.

Here's the danger...the ever lurking superlative!

The definition of superlative is...the form of an adverb or adjective that expresses a degree of the adverb or adjective being used that is greater than any other possible degree of the given descriptor. English superlatives are typically formed with the suffix -est (e.g. healthiestweakest) or the word, most (most recentmost interesting). One prepositionnear, also has a superlative form, as in Find the restaurant nearest your house.

I found this definition through extensive skimming of Wikipedia.

Until I enter into the actual presence of our God, where words will never be enough, I don't think I could use the words "amazing" or "wonderful" about soup, cars or big events without feeling like I am over-hyping just for the sake of it.

So, it's game on!  Time for me to tighten up the language in order to be "most effective"!

How would you do it?

P.S.  Here is another challenge for you.  Help me replace another phrase.  "I want to encourage you to..."  This is a tough one for me!


No comments: